Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I got good news and I got bad news. Update. The new news is that all news is good news.

It was already a long, painful day when I dropped by the office to see what grading was waiting for me. In addition to the grading, two letters were waiting for me. The first was letting me know that I've been rejected from unnamed philosophy conference. The selection was so difficult, you understand. I've been selected out. There was a second letter from the same sender. Oh good, I thought, they're thorough. Maybe they've sent a second rejection just to make sure that the message came across. Maybe this one will bar me from attending altogether. No. It's an acceptance. Same conference. Sent on the same day. Signed 'Sincerely yours' from the same program committee chair. And, no, it's not Graham Priest. (But maybe it is Graham Priest?)

Dear world, please stop messing with me. Either I've learned my lesson or I'm just too thick to ever learn it. Just back off.

Practical question. Should I just show up with a tie on and try to confidence my way through the presentation?

Update
I'll be giving 'The myth of the false, justified belief' at the Eastern in December. I think I'm not the only one who will receive acceptance and rejection letters.

Anyway, in celebration of the bullets I'll be biting in Philly, enjoy.

7 comments:

Daniel Lindquist said...

I read that as "Should I show up with just a tie on and try to confidence my way through the presentation?"

Do that.

Clayton said...

Yeah, I'm not _that_ confident. Hell, I'm not even that confident.

Brandon said...

Wow.

I feel your pain. I have to admit, though, that there is a small part of me that is wondering, if you're already being simultaneously accepted and rejected, what twist fate has in store next to mess with your head.....

Brandon said...

All's well that ends well!

Leo Iacono said...

Clayton,
Congrats. I'll be there -- I bet the fur will be flying!

Clayton said...

Thanks everyone.

Leo, I'm sure you'll go for the jugular or at least try to sweep the leg.

I'll post a draft and you're free to start taking preliminary shots any time. Haven't forgotten about business ethics, I've just been buried under grading.

Leo Iacono said...

Clayton --

Forget about business ethics. That ship has sailed. But thanks for not forgetting.

By the way, I've always wondered which Karate Kid character I was. Now I know. (And I take it you fancy yourself Daniel-san?)