Friday, June 27, 2008

Update

There should be philosophy soon. I thought I'd post an update in the meantime.

I had hoped that I'd now be grading final exams and packing my bags for Scotland. Half of that didn't work out. I was going to use my summer teaching money to pay my way over, but the money I was going to use to pay for travel didn't come through in time. I'm not entirely sure why. There's no real logic to the timing of pay around here. During the regular school year, you are paid in advance of teaching. If classes start at the end of August, you'll have pay on the last day of July. During summer, it seems you are paid only after wrapping things up. If your first few days of class are in May, you might get paid on the last day of June. The people here were inflexible and couldn't speed up the pay, so I had to cancel my trip to Arche summer school. (The folks at Arche were far more helpful, but in spite of exceptionally generous offers to let me slide on various payments, there was no way to make my trip abroad.)

I'd say that I'm more than a little annoyed by the situation as I'd been looking forward to philosophy summer school for months. Things have gone from highly annoying to absolutely ludicrous in the past few days. I'm finishing up teaching two summer courses and a friend is about to start teaching two as well. Although his contract promised him that he'd be paid at the end of June and July, he was informed by payroll that they weren't going to pay him until after his courses were completed. They knew that this violated the terms of the contract and apologized for the "inconvenience", but they insisted that there was nothing they could do. (I don't know how much they make, but not being paid a month when you are a philosophy lecturers isn't exactly an "inconvenience". Most of us live off of advances on next month's pay and blog on pirated wifi.) I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought that knowingly refusing to honor the terms of a contract for absolutely no reason would be slightly illegalish. They did suggest a solution. While they sympathized with his plight (no income for at least a month) and wouldn't pay him a dime, they suggested that he get me to loan him the money since I did teach two courses.

So, rather than keep up your terms of the contract, just get employees to get an unsecured loan and borrow from other employees. This is insanity, right?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Absolutely!

Timmo said...

I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought that knowingly refusing to honor the terms of a contract for absolutely no reason would be slightly illegalish.

Sorry to hear about this mess. I bet they've included in the contracts somewhere clauses to the effect that they reserve so and so rights. I can't say that for sure, of course, but it's easy enough to get rights and powers over someone else: get them to agree that you have them.