Friday, September 12, 2008

Cocky Wacko?

We've got cocky covered.
Pressed about what insights into recent Russian actions she gained by living in Alaska, Palin answered: "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

It's one thing to say that you can deal with the Ruskies after looking a former member of the KGB in the eyes and getting a peek at his soul. It's quite another to say that you can do this having lived in a state that has an island that affords a glimpse of their coastline. Maybe if she gets a look into Putin's eyes she'll be a little more reticent before declaring in an interview that "perhaps" she would have supported going to war over Georgia. (I suppose there's no inconsistency in being pro-life and opposed to most every abortion whilst being pro-going to war with a country that could nuke every expectant mother on the planet in the course of a dust up over Georgia.)

Wacko? She clarified previous remarks of hers that suggested she believed that the Iraq war is a task that is from God by saying that she's never presumed to know God's will. At least she's trying to hide the crazy. That counts for something. (Philosophical content. The AP says she contradicted a previous assertion of hers, but that's only because they don't distinguish the Moorean absurdity ("The war in Iraq is God's will, but I don't know that it is") from the true contradiction ("I was for and against the bridge to nowhere").)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...True contradictions, you say?

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~arche/members/photographs/priest.jpg

"Dialeth-hi-yah!"

(/nothing to contribute)

Jonathan Ichikawa said...

Incredibly, I'm going to come to Palin's defense on this one. She has never asserted, as far as I can tell, that the Iraq war is a task from God. The widely-quoted passage is badly out of context; she's asking the congregation to pray that it is a task from God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ypVSYoEKA

Degenerate and Close Personal Friend said...

I wish I could take credit for this, but, alas, a commenter over at Balloon Juice nailed this one perfectly:

"And when I look out my window I can see the moon. Doesn’t make me a fucking astronaut now, does it?"

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=11288

Clayton said...

D&CPF!

Brandon said...

The first paragraph seems more wacko to me than cocky. But I'm a bit puzzled by your second paragraph. Palin didn't suggest that she believed that the Iraq war is a task from God; she said (quite clearly) that since we're sending out soldiers to the war in Iraq we should pray that doing so is according to God's plan. You can find the clip on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

"I was for and against the bridge to nowhere."
Isn't this (merely) inconsistent but not a contradiction? Strictly speaking the contradiction would be "It was the case that I was for the bridge to nowhere and it was not the case that I was for the bridge to nowhere."