Saturday, October 11, 2008

Doh!

I'd been kicking around this idea in a few blog comments and notes to self that it would be interesting to respond to arguments against moral realism by arguing that such arguments would prove too much by doubling as arguments against epistemic realism. I'm now sitting here drinking a decent coffee cup of wine reading Cuneo's The Normative Web kicking myself for not thinking of this earlier while thinking I'm somewhat relieved that he's done all the hard work for me.

You might be wondering why I'm blogging on a Saturday night at 2:00 a.m. It's in part because my new schedule involves passing out from 3:30 until 7:00 on Friday afternoons after my week of teaching is done. It's in part because I'm somewhat motivated to get some reading done instead of thinking about the horrors of another year on the job market. I'd like to think that this year is going to go better than last, but it's looking like there aren't that many jobs this year. At this point, I'm not sure any changes to my cv are going to matter. (That being said, there's about a dozen folks who could prove me wrong. They could finish reviewing my papers and recommend acceptance!) I'll just sit back, expect the worst, and start thinking about where I want to wait tables next year.

Sarah Palin is turning out to be a bold choice, no?

2 comments:

Degenerate & Close Personal Friend said...

Hey. Isn't shaping up to be a brilliant year for philosophy jobs, but the web ads (despite being a mess) improved the Oct JFP.

Nonetheless, I think the CV changes will be enough for you. If not, then we have an argument against the existence of justice.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

If I get my sabbatical, there will be a pretty nicely paid one year position open in Minnesota. Other UNL folks have been hired there in the past :). We might be able to arrange an apartment sub-let close to campus and everything... and, if you are nice to the Dean, she might just decide that we need a 5th full-time position.

It would involve teaching 5 sections -- but, I'll be nice when I select my fall courses, so your schedule wouldn't be horrific...