Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On the market

I'm sure a fair number of you are on the market right now. Good luck. If you're not on the market, but are looking for a candidate I suppose I'd mention that I'm desperately looking for a position. Preferably, a position in philosophy. I suppose if that fails, there has to be some advertising firms that could use a philosopher on staff. Someone's going to have to call Dove on this gem:
We asked one woman to wash with Dove. We asked another woman to wash with soap. If you could see the difference, you would see that soap leaves an invisible layer of scum on the skin.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right to me.

2 comments:

Degenerate and Close Personal Friend said...

I think they've already hired a logician: since the consequent is always false (you wouldn't see invisible layer), the antecedent is false (you can't see the difference). That, of course, is why you have to buy the product and try it!

Modus tollens, FTW!

(Good luck on the job search.)

Clayton said...

Ah, I thought it was a counterfactual with a necessarily false antecedent.

Damn, I'm not going to get a job inside or outside of philosophy.