Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You can't get there from here?

I'm reading a piece that is forthcoming in PPR right now where the author defends what strike me as an odd pair of claims. The first is that if you believe p on the basis of the perceptual appearance that p, the belief could be justified only if the experience is a veridical one. (Good view!) The second is that you can form justified beliefs in false propositions if the belief is formed by way of inductive inference. (Boo!!!) If I know that it seems as if p is the case to Plum because of her hallucination and she believes p, it strikes me as exceptionally odd that I'd be right to think this sort of thought: I don't know whether Plum believes what she should about p. If she based on that on experience, she doesn't. If she based that on experiences and arrived at that by means of inductive inference, she does.

1 comment:

exapologist said...

I don't know how you know the paper's forthcoming in PPR, but if it's by an "online first" page, would you please post the link to it for PPR?