Monday, January 18, 2010

Knowing means never having to say you're sorry

Just received word that my paper has been accepted for the 2010 Episteme conference being held at the University of Edinburgh this June (here). Waking up to this sort of news isn't quite as good as waking up next to someone you love (yeah, I'm talking to a certain someone who has just selfishly left for Iceland until August because of some silly Fulbright business who I expect will be reading this moments from now), but it's pretty good.

The title? I'm pretty proud of this one: Knowing Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

The topic? The role that the concepts of knowledge and justification play in practical reasoning. Knowing p means never having to say that you're sorry for having acted on the belief that p when you also knew that your choice was p-dependent. An argument suggests that the same should be true for justification, but that requires an unorthodox account of justification that nobody but yours truly takes seriously.

The lineup of invited speakers looks absolutely amazing and this will be my first trip to Scotland. I look forward to leaving my burnt offering at the statue of Hume and hearing some first rate papers from some first rate epistemologists.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Congrats on the acceptance! I'm still trying to see if I can scrounge up the funds for a return trip. The mosque kitchen is a great place to grab lunch and the Royal Oak has fantastic folk music almost every night.

Clayton said...

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for the tip, hope to see you there. At the very least, I should see you in Chicago in a few weeks.