Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The proof is in the objecting!

But not everyone is on board with the effort. Organizations like Kaplan, the University of Phoenix, and various for-profit colleges are lashing out at Obama's plan, charging that community colleges are being showered with too much presidential attention and federal aid at the expense of other institutions.

For-profit colleges are against Obama's plan (see here). Must be a good plan. Let me guess, Republicans are going to be against the way Obama's plan threatens the way free-market forces have given rise to for-profit schools that can only survive by suckering students into taking out massive loans backed by the federal government that is then forked over to them by students who then can't repay them. In 3, 2, ...

2 comments:

Dylan said...

Community colleges are awesome. I'd like to know more of the details of Obama's plan.

U. of Pheonix, et al, say in the article that cc's suck because they only graduate 20% of their students. But most people go to a cc because they want to graduate from somewhere else. I went to a cc for almost 2 years. I never graduated. I graduated from a 4-year university, which was also the goal of almost everyone else I was studying with. Oh yeah, and now I have a PhD. But, just to be clear, I never graduated from my cc. Wow, my cc really sucked. It failed to graduate me.

Clayton said...

I think that's a good point. People point to the low grad rates at some for profit schools, too. The problem with that is that the people who don't graduate from these schools are often under enormous debt that they can't pay back. The loans are backed by taxpayers, so it's an easy way to make a buck for them at the expense of others.