Saturday, December 4, 2010

What's wrong with these people?

Someone asked in the comments why I hadn't said anything in response to the latest shameful display of bigotry from What's Wrong with These People (see their series of "disinviting" Islam (1, 2, 3). I did sneak in one sarcastic comment, but I'd like to give my time to the gentleman from somewhere or other (here):
Shari'a is just the way we live our lives: not eating pork, no drugs, or alcohol, prayers, etc. The punishments are deterrents -- if other deterrents suffice, like American laws, what reason do we have to cut the hand of the thief when we know they're gonna go to jail? We're not trying to overthrow the system. We're just trying to live our lives.

And jihad, even the military definition, is a struggle *in response to oppression.* As far as I'm concerned, I'm not being oppressed as a Muslim in America. And I'm very grateful to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and the American system for it.

What you're saying though is that I NEED to be oppressed, like I'm some sort of animal or something. You sicken me. I'm a human being, no more a cultist of a socio-political ideology than you...in fact, you friggin started a website to do this, who's the ideologue??

I play guitar, I go to soup kitchens with my MOSQUE's youth group, I'm on the track team. I own a Bible and it's a lot like the Qur'an. I'm not a bad person. You offend me.

I think this says everything that needs to be said on the matter.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That's beyond words... but I'll settle for disgusting. Perhaps, if you take their blog quite literally (and read the title first) then it follows that their posts/thoughts are in fact "What's Wrong with the World"